Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Photo Project Year 3 - July


July was a slower month for photos for me.  I do have three very different highlights for the month. 

This being July, I started out with making an attempt at photographing some 4th of July fireworks.  This year I used my camera on a monopod.  I did use the fireworks function on my camera, but I am still learning, and with the camera I have that is the best route. 

Fireworks display (photo: Cathy Spahn) 
I took many photos of the fireworks, some of which did not work. It took a few shots to get the timing down.  I did get several shots that show nice colors and burst.  One photo in particular demonstrates color and a few different bursts.  The other challenge I ran into at this location was either trees in the way, or as I found this time, a light that managed to get into all of my shots.  If I go to this location again I have to get there earlier to locate a spot away from the trees and lights.  However, I still really like this shot even with the light in part of it.

Watching the baby European Barn Owl being fed (Hailey closest to the camera/Madilynn closest to the owl) (photo: Cathy Spahn)

The second photo for the month of July was when my sister, brother-in-law and nieces came for a visit.  During the course of the day they were here we did many things, and of course one of them involved visiting the World Bird Sanctuary.  One of the best experiences I was able to give my nieces was for them to get a chance to meet a few day old European Barn Owl.  My nieces just fell in love with the baby owl.  Of course the big thing was she wanted to pet the owl, but once she got to see staff member Roger Wallace try to feed the baby owl she sat quietly and they all watched closely.

Sunflower and bees (photo: Cathy Spahn) 
The last photo I took at the very end of the month.  I was out birding, just wandering around to see what I could find.  I took many photos that day, and amazingly my favorite shot is not of a bird, but rather a sunflower with bees.  I came across this beautiful field of sunflowers. Most of the flowers were beyond peak, but a few were just right.  This one flower was just beautiful and I set my camera on continuous shoot mode because I saw the bees in the area.  I was concentrating on the bees on the sunflower, but when I looked back through my shots I found this photo with the bees flying into the flower.  I just love it.

Keeping a camera with you as you go out and about can lead to many very interesting and beautiful photos.  Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don’t, but that is half the fun of photography.

Submitted by Cathy Spahn, World Bird Sanctuary Naturalist

No comments: